For Puerto Rico

U.S.- Puerto Rico maritime also provides economic benefit in the form of thousands of local family-wage jobs in Puerto Rico. The American domestic carriers serving Puerto Rico in regular liner service all have substantial presences in Puerto Rico, performing operational, seafaring, sales, maintenance, administrative and other functions. These companies are also a part of the local fabric of the community, participating in charitable, environmental and educational programs among others.

0:00-0:23 – Since I was a boy, living on this island, living in Puerto Rico, I always had a boat and was out on the water. When I grew up, I decided to sail ships and what better way to help the people of Puerto Rico by moving goods to the island from the United States.

0:23-0:41 – In this industry, we promote the safety of the goods, we ensure that the goods arrive on time from port to port, we ensure that the ship, the port, and not only that, that the travel environment is safe at all times.

0:41-1:00 – In my lifetime, I would love for my son to know what the maritime industry brings to this country, so that he can enjoy what it has to offer and see the good it brings to the people of Puerto Rico.

0:00-0:06 – My name is Eduardo Pagan. I’m the general manager of Sea Star Lines and the vice president of the Caribbean.

0:06-0:15 – I manage practically all of Sea Star Lines operations in the Caribbean and Puerto Rico.

0:15-0:34 – We are in charge of importing the majority of goods consumed in Puerto Rico. Currently, more than 80 percent of consumer goods on the island are imported. Approximately 75 percent come from the United States, while the other 25 percent comes from other countries.

0:34-0:58 – Our dedicated service is extremely important to us. Our service consists of boats running directly from Jacksonville, Florida to San Juan, Puerto Rico and vice versa. Given this type of service, we can guarantee shipments arrive on time, and that way importers can minimize the quantity of inventory required to operate a business on the island.

0:58-1:25 – One of the benefits of this dedicated service is that we have the opportunity to import the principal consumer protein on the island, chicken, direct from farm to table in approximately four days. When you take into consideration the distance between the United States and Puerto Rico, this is an example of world-class transit time and a key element to retaining the freshness of the product.

1:25-1:45 – The costs of this industry will never represent a significant portion of the total cost of consumer goods. Therefore, trying to blame the costs of this industry on the economic crisis is incorrect.

1:45-1:52 – Without this dedicated service we would not be able to consume fresh chicken on the  island like we do.

1:52-2:06 – Not many people know that this service is essential to maintain the standard of life we enjoy in Puerto Rico and operate efficient businesses on the island like we do.

2:06-2:11 – We are committed to serving Puerto Rico.

0:00-0:13 – For me it’s very important working in this industry. Other than the fact that I enjoy it, it brings me satisfaction knowing that a large part of what reaches the island arrives by sea. That means that what arrives here doesn’t only affect a few people, but the whole island, my family, me, my loved ones, the whole village of Puerto Rico is affected by what we do and it makes me feel good knowing that what I do makes an impact in Puerto Rico.

0:00-0:17 – Puerto Rico is an island. It depends on the maritime industry. The majority of consumer goods in this country – food, cars, clothes, medicine – and what we provide are safe and trustworthy service at a competitive price.

0:17-0:27 – As a company we promote good service in this country, we invest in this country, and we provide our service at a competitive price.

About Us

We are dedicated to Puerto Rico by providing reliable, on time transportation services of essential goods between the U.S. Mainland and Puerto Rico. U.S- Puerto Rican maritime supports thousands of family-wage jobs and plays a key role in homeland security.